Sunday, November 12, 2006

About the belly button


Hey guys! I have a big problem and I need your help! My belly button didn’t close till now. The vet said that we have to wait until I’m 6 months to see what happens to it; the belly buttons of my brothers and sisters closed at 6-8 weeks… I’m the only one with a “slow” belly button… The vet said that it is a little umbilical hernia and that the procedure of closing it is not a big operation. But my humans are really, really worried because of the anesthesia… They read a lot of things that happened to little pugs because of the anesthesia, but also that the procedure has to be done at an early age. In books says that the procedure is necessary if the umbilical hernia is a medium one (a little umbilical hernia or a big one are not a problem)… My humans don’t know what to do… my next vet appointment is in December when I’ll have my anti-rabies shot and then the vet will decide if I need an operation.
So guys if you plzzz find/know any articles published on the internet or if you know something about this tell me!!!

7 comments:

Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

Kritter had little hernia but didn't have to have surgery. I'd say go wigh your vet's advice. It's scary to put a little guy under because of the horror stories out there, but the instances of complicaions are still very rare. What does the vet say would happen if he didn't have the surgery?

Ronin_The_Pug said...

Hey Kara! Our vet tried not to worry us too much so she didn't say what could happen. But of course I searched on the internet and it says that a middle hernia can be dangerous if the intestines get in there and produce a block... A little hernia doesn’t produce such an effect because it’s too small and a big one permits, if the intestines fall through the hernia, to “come back” in the abdominal cavity. The vet was not worried at all… I think the procedure is something like an appendices surgery… I really, really hope Ron won’t need the procedure.

Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

We hope so too!!! Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ronin you cute little warrior, I know nothing of umbilical hernias to be able to offer your Mommy any advice. Just that if surgery is necessary, Bandit and Paisley both did fine with anesthesia when they had their spay and neuter surgeries. I know our vet has a preference of anesthesia for pugs, but I do not remember what the name is. I can find out if you would like me too though and pass it on to you.

Ronin_The_Pug said...

Oh Paula that would be great if you could find out what kind of anesthesia is using Paisley and Bandit's vet! Kisses

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

I have heard of this...I can understand why you are worried, Do you plan on having Ronin fixed? if so I wonder if the vet can do both at once? so Ronin will only have to go through surgery once?

Ronin_The_Pug said...

Hi! Nop we are not planning to neuter Ron... That's why we hope that the surgery for the belly-button won't be necessary.
We thought a lot about the nutering but in the end we decided not to do it.